Estimates vary, but most agree that between 10 and 12 million people in the United States experience some form of TMJ disorder, also known as TMD. A jaw joint disorder, this can lead to difficulty fully opening and closing your mouth. You may be surprised to learn that we can often ease the strain in your jaw joints with Botox.
Try Our Quiz on Botox and TMJ Disorder
- True or False: Multiple factors can lead to TMD.
- True or False: An aching jaw can be a warning sign.
- True or False: Botox can ease jaw joint strain.
- True or False: We can also Botox to address the appearance of aging.
- True. When you experience an injury to your face or jaw, TMD can occur. In addition, other factors include tooth loss, misalignment, stress, and bruxism (teeth grinding/jaw clenching). Understanding the cause of your jaw joint strain is essential for prescribing the most appropriate treatment, so we will perform a thorough diagnosis.
- True. Along with soreness in the jaw, you may also notice popping or crackling in the jaw, headaches, pain in the neck or shoulders, and toothaches (should you also be grinding your teeth). If one or more of these potential symptoms sounds familiar, then please schedule an appointment today.
- True. Botox can be administered via injection to relax the muscles in the jaw and ease strain. Doing so can limit stress in the joints and help reduce symptoms related to TMJ disorder.
- True. We can use Botox to target wrinkles around the eyes and in the forehead. We can also prescribe dermal fillers to fill in lines around the nose and mouth, along with a host of other facial treatments to reduce lines, wrinkles, and other signs of aging.
ABOUT YOUR ARLINGTON HEIGHTS, IL DENTIST:
Dr. Brent Engelberg and his highly-skilled team proudly serve patients and their families from Arlington Heights, IL, and all surrounding communities, including; Northbrook, Deerfield, Highland Park, Wilmette, Winnetka, Glencoe, Vernon Hills, Lincolnshire, Libertyville, Skokie, Evanston, Palatine, Schaumburg, Elk Grove Village, Rolling Meadows, and the Northern and Northwest Chicago Suburbs. To learn more, schedule a consultation online, or call our office today at 847-259-6988.