Do you have frequent headaches, especially in the morning?
Although headaches are not often considered to be a dental health concern, chronic headaches can be a sign of a temporomandibular disorder (TMD). Commonly called TMJ, a TMD is often the result of an imbalance in the bite which puts strain on the jaw joints causing painful symptoms. Addressing a bite disorder such as TMJ is important for dental health and quality of life.
Common Symptoms of TMJ
- Facial pain (often in the temporal region or sides of face)
- Pain in the neck and/or older shoulders
- Migraine, or migraine like headaches, especially in the morning
- Earache or feeling of fullness in the ears
Treatment for TMJ Headaches
Dr. Engelberg or Dr. Mullarkey will discuss your dental concerns and health history as well as perform a thorough dental exam before recommending appropriate treatment for TMJ and related symptoms. Treatment options include an oral appliance, such as a TMJ mouthguard, and/or bite correction therapy to address problems with the alignment of the teeth and jaw joints.
- TMJ Mouthguard – Dr. Engelberg or Dr. Mullarkey can create a custom removable appliance that is worn during sleep. The purpose of this treatment is to reduce or prevent teeth grinding and clenching and therefore reduce the occurrence of morning headaches.
Bite Correction – Headaches often result from an unbalanced bite. Drs. Engelberg or Mullarkey may recommend restorative treatments such as dental crowns, bonding or orthodontics to reshape the teeth and balance the bite.
- Botox Therapeutic- Dr. Engelberg and Dr. Basko are trained in the treatment of TMJ related headaches through the use of Botox injections. When used for TMJ, Botox Therapeutic can reduce the frequency and intensity of headaches associated with the disorder by limiting the ability to clench or grind the jaw. Patients will enjoy relief for up to 6 months. For your convenience, you may receive your touch up treatments during your bi-annual dentist office visits.