Tooth decay can impact people of all ages, from children to seniors. Without treatment, decay continues to grow until the patient develops a serious infection or abscess. To safeguard the tooth, we recommend treating decay in a timely manner. We can fix cavities with a lifelike dental restoration.
Try Our Quiz on Fixing Cavities
- True or False: Various factors can cause cavities.
- True or False: A toothache can be a warning sign.
- True or False: A filling can repair a cavity.
- True or False: We may place a crown to address advanced decay.
- True. Decay forms when bacteria can move past your tooth enamel and reach the layers of dentin below. If a tooth becomes cracked or chipped, then dentin can be exposed to bacteria. In addition, poor oral hygiene combined with foods and drinks high in sugar and other starches can lead to enamel erosion, allowing cavities to form.
- True. Once a cavity forms then your teeth could feel sensitive, especially when eating or drinking hot or cold foods and beverages. In addition, a persistent toothache can form. Don’t ignore sudden discomfort, see your dentist for a diagnosis and to see if you need treatment.
- True. We can place a metal-free and lifelike filling to repair the problem. After cleaning the tooth, we may etch the surface before placing a composite resin. Shaded to match your tooth structure, the resin is cured with a special light. We then polish the tooth for a natural appearance. The entire procedure takes just one visit.
- True. In cases where the decay has been allowed to grow, we may need a more substantial restoration. We can place a crown in a single visit using CEREC technology.
Dr. Brent Engelberg and his highly-skilled team proudly serve patients and their families from Arlington Heights, IL. To learn more, schedule a consultation online, or call our office today at (847) 230-9703.