Periodontal Therapy An Overview
Arlington Heights dentists Dr. Brent Engelberg and Dr. Jennifer Mullarkey offer comprehensive dental care, including periodontal therapy for treating the various symptoms of gum disease and restoring your dental health.
Maintaining the health of your gums is the key to enjoying a lifetime of optimal dental health. Gum disease affects approximately 75% of adults at some point in their lives and remains the leading cause of tooth loss today. Routine dental care provides the opportunity for our staff to spot the early signs of gum disease during a periodontal screening, significantly reducing the risk of damage to the teeth and gums as a result of advanced disease.
Common Signs of Gum Disease
Understanding and recognizing the signs of gum disease can prevent progression and possible damage to teeth and gums. Common signs and symptoms can include:
- Red or swollen gums
- Receding gums
- Loose or shifted teeth
- Bleeding gums when brushing or flossing
- Persistent bad breath
- Changes in the fit of dentures
- Sores in the mouth
Stages of Gum Disease
Gum disease has two stages and can often progress unnoticed in patients who do not receive regular dental care or are prone to periodontal disease. Early intervention can avoid deteriorating dental health and the need for extensive treatment to address damage to both the teeth and the gums.
- Gingivitis: the early stage of gum disease, gingivitis is often characterized by sensitive gums, bleeding gums or gums that appear red and swollen. This is the result of early infection of the gum tissue from plaque that is building up along the gum line.
- Periodontitis: advanced gum disease, symptoms of periodontitis can include the above as well as receding gums, shifting teeth and a change in the fit of dental appliances as bacteria moves deeper into the gum tissue and affects the tooth roots.
"I really didn't think going to the dentist would ever be enjoyable, but Dr. brents team go out of their way to make me feel comfortable and relaxed. Oh yeah, they did a great job on my teeth as well. Thanks Doc."Thomas M.
"Dr. Engelberg and his staff are always on top of their game. Highly recommended practice for your dental needs."Patrick H.
"I use to hate going to the dentist. But my experience with Dr. Brent Engelberg and his staff has changed my perception of going to the dentist. They are excellent at what they do and his office has a very calming atmosphere. I would highly recommend Dr. Engelberg to anyone looking for a new dentist in the Chicago area."Tim E.
"I have always had a great experience when going here. The front desk is always friendly and helpful with any questions I've had regarding my payments/insurance. Pam is the hygienist I always go to and she does an amazing job. I always leave a happy customer."Alyssa M.
"I have been coming to this practice for over 20 years. Whenever you walk through the doors you are greeted by a smile behind the desk. I have a special bond with Pam one of the hygienist who is always so caring and goes over the top to get me sceduled in with her. She even goes out of her way if I've cancelled an appointment she will call me personally to rescedule. She only wants what is best for my teeth. The atmosphere is like a spa like feeling. You almost forget you are at the "dentist" when you are all done with your cleaning and you get handed a warm towel."Beth C.
"Hi! I'm Les' wife, Eydie, using his FaceBook page. Well, where do I begin? I've been with this dental group for almost 35 years and when Dr. Engelberg took over the practice, we remained. My words can only help you make a decision to have your dental care here, but you truly need to experience this for yourself. I promise you, you won't go anywhere else! Dr. Engelberg takes a personal interest in my dental health and has always fit me in for emergencies. He's friendly, professional and caring. Most of all, he's a darn good dentist! I've been fortunate enough to have Margaret as my hygeniest, a great technician who cares about the quality of her work. We go way back .. we've watched our own families grow. Occasionally, other technicians have taken care of me ... they all have set high standards. The office staff greets you and makes you feel that you're an important part of making the entire practice a success. High quality work, competent employees, friendliness. Why go somewhere else? Become part of the family!"Les M.
Periodontal Therapy What to Expect
Dr. Engelberg will assess your oral health and recommend the appropriate periodontal therapy for your unique needs. Treatment will depend on the stage of gum disease and any contributing medical or lifestyle factors. Treatment options can include:
- Anti-bacterial rinses: for early stage gum disease, an anti-bacterial rinse can reduce the presence of harmful bacteria in the mouth
- Scaling and root planing: a thorough cleaning technique performed in our office which removes plaque from the tooth roots and deep recesses of the gums
- Laser dentistry: gentle dental lasers can remove damaged and diseased tissue, enabling the gums to heal
- Referral to a specialist: for advanced cases of gum disease requiring more extensive treatment, Dr. Engelberg will refer patients to a local specialist