Do you have teeth that appear crooked, or possibly crowd and overlap one another? Misalignment can be an embarrassing issue and one that leads you to hide your smile when possible. However, an uneven smile has also been linked to poor oral health. Fortunately, by correcting misalignment, you can help protect your smile from serious complications.
Try Our Quiz in the Benefits of Correcting Misalignment
- True or False: An uneven smile can lead to a greater risk of tooth decay and gum disease.
- True or False: Poor smile alignment has been linked to TMJ disorder.
- True or False: We can correct the issue with clear aligners.
- True. Uneven teeth provide pockets for food particles to become trapped. There, bacteria can break down the particles, a process that leads to higher levels of oral acidity and plaque buildup, a bacterial byproduct that can weaken tooth enamel and inflame gum tissue. Even if you brush and floss, reaching and removing all food particles can be difficult.
- True. Often, crooked or crowded teeth can place pressure on the jaw joints. The strain can lead to a greater risk of TMJ disorder, which makes fully opening and closing the mouth difficult. Patients with TMJ disorder may notice popping or clicking in their jaws, as well as persistent headaches. In addition, bruxism (teeth grinding) can also develop, over time damaging tooth enamel and increasing the risk of tooth decay and infection.
- True. We can provide a series of custom-made aligners made from a clear plastic material. Worn daily, the aligners help correct your smile without the use of metal orthodontics. If you have any questions or concerns about Invisalign or addressing misalignment, then contact our office today.
About your Dentist in Arlington Heights IL:
Dr. Brent Engelberg and his highly-skilled team proudly serve patients and their families from Arlington Heights, IL, and all Chicago communities. To learn more, call our office today at (847) 230-9703. We are here to help you get your oral health back to full function and beauty.