The American Dental Association recommends that patients of all ages undergo routine exams and have their teeth cleaned regularly. We agree, as these seemingly minor preventive treatments can go a long way towards keeping your smile healthy and functioning properly. In today’s blog, we’re going to look at the benefits of checkups and cleanings.
Try Our Quiz on Checkups and Cleanings
- True or False: A checkup helps identify problems in the earliest stages.
- True or False: A cleaning completely removes plaque from your smile.
- True or False: You need a visit every six months.
- True or False: You still need to care for your smile at home.
- True. During a checkup, we carefully examine your teeth, gums, and jaw. We often use digital x-rays and intraoral cameras to obtain a more detailed view of your smile. We can then identify possible problems in the earliest stages, treating them before they grow worse and threaten the stability of your smile. We typically look for signs of decay, infection, gingivitis, gum disease, oral cancer, even TMJ disorder and bruxism.
- True. During a dental cleaning we will use an ultrasonic scaler to remove plaque and tartar buildup from the teeth. We will the thoroughly polish the teeth. The procedure reduces the risk of enamel erosion and gum inflammation, protecting the smile from serious oral health concerns. Patients can also enjoy fresher breath and a brighter smile.
- True. Unless the dentist says otherwise, you should have your teeth cleaned and examined twice a year.
- True. You still need to make time to brush your teeth twice a day and floss once a day!
About Arlington Heights IL Cosmetic Dentist:
Dr. Brent Engelberg and our highly-skilled team proudly serve patients and their families from Arlington Heights, IL, and all surrounding communities, including: Northbrook, Deerfield, Highland Park, Wilmette, Winnetka, Glencoe, Vernon Hills, Lincolnshire, Libertyville, Skokie, Evanston, Palatine, Schaumburg, Elk Grove Village, Rolling Meadows, and the Northern and Northwest Chicago Suburbs. To learn more, schedule a consultation online, or call our office today at (847) 230-9703.