Take this Gum Health Quiz to learn how much you know about the importance of gum health. You may be surprised by some of the answers, or perhaps you are a gum health pro. Either way, be sure to visit Arlington Heights, IL family dentist Dr. Engelberg on a regular basis to keep your gums healthy and strong.
And stay tuned for
True or False: What Do You Know About Gum Health?
- Advanced gum disease is the single greatest cause of tooth loss.
- Gums help to stabilize teeth and work to keep your smile properly aligned.
- Tooth sensitivity could be caused by a receding gumline.
- Routine dental cleanings can prevent the spread of gum disease.
- Brushing and flossing do not help combat gum disease.
- Caught early, gum disease may be able to be reversed.
- Gum disease can cause you to lose bone tissue and cause facial sagging.
Gum Health Quiz Answers
- True. Gum disease is a leady cause of tooth loss. Gums become inflamed and pull away from the teeth. Unsupported by healthy gums, teeth become loose and are prone to falling out.
- True. Gums are an essential part of oral health. The gums help hold teeth in place and protect the root of the tooth keeping teeth stable.
- True. When the gum recedes it can expose the root of the tooth. When a tooth root is exposed to extreme or fluctuating temperatures patients can feel discomfort.
- True. Routine dental health exams and professional teeth cleanings help keep disease-causing bacteria in check and prevent the spread of disease.
- False! Brushing and flossing daily are required dental health maintenance inbetween routine dental health exams. Daily oral hygiene prevents the build-up of tartar and plaque and can prevent the development of gum disease.
- True. Patients who visit the dentist on a routine basis are more likely to have their gum disease diagnosed in the early stages known as gingivitis. Gingivitis may be able to be reversed with a deep tooth cleaning known as scaling and root planing.
Protect Your Gums, Request a Dental Health Exam
Protect the health and function of your gums with routine dental health exams. Visit Dr. Brent Engelberg and our dental care team for a routine dental health exam and gum evaluation. AH Smiles welcomes patients of all ages to enjoy the benefits of high quality, personalized dental care. Click here to request your dental health exam.