Brushing twice daily and flossing regularly are essential for maintaining the health of your teeth and gums, but they are not a substitute for regular checkups with your dentist. In addition to preventing minor dental issues from developing into major ones, regular checkups can also help prevent heart attacks, strokes, and other medical conditions which can develop or be exacerbated by untreated dental problems.
Although many people dislike going to the dental appointments, if you follow the steps below, you may actually come to enjoy your routine dental visits more. Finding a dentist that you can trust and develop a good working relationship is essential to a good experience with dental care. AH Smiles in Arlington Heights, IL presents the following tips for finding and choosing a new dentist. Maybe that dentist will even be at AH Smiles?
Choosing A Dentist: Where To Start?
Ask friends, family or co-workers for a suggestions. There’s a good chance that one of them has a dentist they recommend.
Ask your doctor or pharmacist for a referral. Members of the medical community often know one another and may have preferences about whom they collaborate with. Choosing a dentist that may already have an existing relationship with your doctor or pharmacy can help your providers better coordinate treatment.
If you’re moving to a new area, ask your current dental provider for a recommendation. They may be able to recommend a colleague in the town or area you are moving to.
Make use of the quick and easy search function on the American Dental Association (ADA) website at www.ada.org. Every ADA member dentist has taken a professional oath to put your health and well-being first and deal ethically and honestly with all patients.
What To Look For In A New Dentist
Once you have a few recommendations for a possible new dentist, you might want to call or visit more than one of them to see what it would be like to be a patient there. It is important that you are a good fit with your dentist and his staff to build the trust essential in a doctor-patient relationship.
Here are a few more things to consider when choosing a dentist:
- Do they accept your dental insurance? This is very important.
- Do their office hours fit your schedule?
- Is their office located close to your home or office?
- What is their approach to preventive dentistry?
- What types of anesthesia do they administer?
- What are their procedures for after-hour emergencies? Most dentists have arrangements with a colleague or with an emergency referral service.
- Ask them for estimates on some common procedures such as full-mouth X-rays, an oral exam and cleaning, and filling a cavity in case you ever have a lapse in your insurance coverage.
- What is their missed-appointments policy?
Visiting A Dentist’s Office
Once you decide to visit the office of your potential dentist, make sure you consider the following:
- Is their office neat, clean and orderly?
- Does their equipment appear clean and up-to-date?
- Was the manner of their dental staff kind and courteous?
- Do the dentist and staff wear gloves and protective gear?
Local Dentist in Arlington Heights, IL
As with any other medical service provider, you owe it to yourself to make sure you’re choosing a dentist that you’ll feel comfortable seeing for checkups and emergencies for years to come.
If you’re in the Arlington Heights, IL area and in need of a dentist, perhaps the skilled and professional team at AH Smiles are the providers for you. If you would like to learn more or schedule an exam, please call (847) 230-9703 or schedule a consultation online.