Dental fillings are one of the most common dental procedures in the world. Studies show that more than 90% of American adults have experienced some degree of tooth decay, and many of those people have had fillings.
What Are Dental Fillings?
In fact, dental fillings are just what they sound like: a material that fills areas of damage or decay to the tooth. Depending on your specific needs, fillings can be made from a variety of materials
Materials for Dental Fillings
- Silver amalgam
- This is the traditional material for fillings. Silver amalgam was the go-to choice for centuries because of its durability. It is still fairly common because it is strong and affordable.
- While expensive, gold is sometimes used on the biting surfaces of large back teeth because it is strong and hard-wearing.
- Composite resin
- Resin is perhaps the most common material used today. Also called “white fillings,” resin fillings can be color matched to blend with your natural tooth. This makes them a great choice for visible teeth.
- Porcelain is used for special fillings called inlays and onlays. These fillings cover the large chewing surface of your tooth, so durable, stain resistant porcelain works well and looks great.
Avoiding Dental Fillings
Although fillings are an easy treatment, it is always best to avoid the need for any kind of restorative treatment. The need for fillings can be attributed directly to tooth decay. Almost everyone will need a filling at some point in their life, but with diligent care, they can be avoided.
- Brush for two minutes twice a day
- Floss correctly
- Modify your diet to avoid excess sugars
- Schedule regular cleanings
- Don’t wait! If you think something might be wrong, get it checked out by your dentist.
Schedule Your Appointment
Dental fillings are a treatment that can be completed quickly, easily, and with minimal discomfort. To schedule your appointment with Drs. Brent Engelberg and Josh Oleari in Arlington Heights, IL, contact AH Smiles on our website or at (847) 230-9703.