Do you have worn or sensitive teeth? You may have dental erosion. Dental or tooth erosion is often marked by demineralization. Demineralization occurs when plaque, a sticky bacterial film, eats away at the enamel, creating an acidic byproduct that wears the teeth. Patients can also experience erosion if they clench or grind their teeth. As this action wears down the enamel, it causes pain and also strain on the temporomandibular joints. While erosion is not fully reversible, we can help patients treat dental erosion and improve their smiles in our Arlington Heights, IL dental office. We provide veneers, dental bonding treatments, and dental crowns to create brighter, more balanced smiles.
Symptoms of Dental Erosion
There are several signs that you may have dental erosion:
- Tooth sensitivity to temperature
- Discolored tooth enamel
- Tooth pain, especially when eating and drinking
- Shiny surfaces on the teeth
- Cracks and chips in the enamel
Contact our office if you notice any of these symptoms. Even if your symptoms do not indicate dental erosion, we will find the right treatment for your needs, budget, and goals. At regular dental appointments, we take x-rays and thoroughly examine the tooth and gum structures. We can examine your smile and create a treatment plan to treat your damaged and eroded teeth.
Treating Dental Erosion in Arlington Heights, IL
It is not possible to regrow the tooth enamel. However, we can offer cosmetic and restorative dental treatments to revitalize the look and health of patients’ smiles:
- Dental Bonding: Tooth bonding treatment adds a biocompatible resin material to cover discolored and damaged enamel. If patients have erosion on the front, top, or bottom of their teeth, we can apply the bonding material to add structure to the smile. Bonding is also best for smaller areas of erosion or damage. We can use bonding treatment on one or several teeth.
- Porcelain Veneers: Dental veneers are thin ceramic or porcelain shells that we bond to the front and sides of teeth in the smile line. These teeth show when you smile and are most prominent in the mouth. While veneers can be more costly than other options, they last much longer than bonding treatment and help protect the smile.
- Tooth Crowns: Dental crowns fully cover single teeth. We recommend a crown if patients have eroded molars or erosion throughout their whole tooth. Crowns are durable restorations made of tooth-colored porcelain that we customize to the contours and color of natural teeth. Additionally, dental crowns prevent further damage to severely worn teeth. Adding a crown to particularly worn or eroded teeth can create a balanced bite and make it much more comfortable for patients to bite and chew.
Do you have dental erosion? Contact AH Smiles for treatment today at (847) 230-9703. You can also request a dental consultation with Dr. Brent Engelberg and his team on our website. If you have any questions about your symptoms or treatments for dental erosion, let Dr. Engelberg or a team member know, and they will be glad to assist you.