When you think of restorations for missing teeth, you most likely think of dentures that you place on your bedside table. Traditional dentures are removable and cleaned with a denture soak. Dentures use adhesive to stay in place. While options like dentures are a great way to improve the smile’s aesthetics after tooth loss, they do not fully improve its function. When you age, you may be prone to developing dental problems over time, including tooth loss. Dental implants offer a modern alternative to traditional dentures for patients in our Buffalo Grove, IL office. Dentures can use dental implants for support to ensure they function better and last longer.
Comparing Dentures and Dental Implants in Buffalo Grove, IL
While many patients may opt for what they know, advances in dentistry can
Here, we will compare traditional dentures vs. dentures secured by dental implants.
- Use adhesive: Dentures lay on top of the gums, using adhesive to stay in place. However, dentures can still slip around the mouth, making it hard to bite and chew hard, chewy, or crunchy foods.
- Require replacement: Removable dentures can last over ten years. However, they will eventually require replacement.
- Do not support the teeth and gums: Because removable dentures lay on the gums, they aren’t supporting the gums and the jaw bone. As a result, patients can still experience problems like facial sagging that affect their smile and face aesthetics.
- Stay in place: During implant treatment, we surgically place titanium implant anchors or posts in the jaw bone. Over three to six months, the implants integrate with the jaw bone. These posts will stay as long as patients care for their smiles.
- Provide permanent care: Implants are permanent because of their high-quality materials and their position in the mouth. Dental implants act as false tooth roots and can prevent many complications that patients with missing teeth face.
- Support healthy teeth and gums: Once the implant posts integrate with the jaw bone under the gums, they support the health of the surrounding natural teeth, gums, and jaw bone.
Living with missing teeth can take a toll on many aspects of daily life, from eating to speaking. Even a single missing tooth can impact patient confidence. If you have lost one or more permanent teeth and are looking for a lasting restoration that does not require as much care as removable dentures, consider dental implants.
Call AH Smiles for missing teeth treatment today at (847) 230-9703. You can also request a dental appointment with Dr. Brent Engelberg on our website. If you have any questions about implants, dentures, or your candidacy for treatment, please let us know, and we can help.