A dental bridge is an appliance often used to replace one or several consecutive missing teeth, “bridging” the gap left behind when a tooth is lost. Dr. Brent Engelberg and Dr. Jennifer Mullarkey offer patients high quality, custom fit dental bridges for tooth replacement that can be designed, fabricated and placed in their Arlington Heights dentist office.
Replacing missing teeth is important for many reasons, including the prevention of more complex dental problems related to tooth loss:
- Periodontal disease
- Shifting of remaining teeth
- Bite problems
- Speech and dietary concerns
A dental bridge can be removable or fixed, anchored on either side by an existing tooth or dental implants. In many cases, Dr. Engelberg or Dr. Mullarkey will recommend capping an existing tooth with a dental crown for added strength and stability. A dental bridge can provide many years of comfortable, functional smiles.
Dental Bridge vs Dental Implants: What To Consider
The introduction of dental implants has vastly changed the landscape of restorative dentistry and tooth replacement for both doctor and patient. Dental implants can be more costly up front, but provide several key benefits for dental health that will outweigh the cost over time:
- Bone retention: the tiny titanium post implanted in the jaw functions like a tooth root, stimulating natural bone cell growth to reduce jaw shrinkage which can affect the bite and cause teeth to shift.
- Normal speech and diet: a dental implant functions like a natural tooth and allows normal speech patterns and a healthy diet with no restrictions.
- Stable, secure restoration: a dental implant is permanent and completely stable- no slipping or falling out.
- No daily maintenance: there is no need for daily or routine maintenance with a dental implant.
Another consideration for many patients is the length of the dental implant procedure. The initial surgical phase when the post is implanted in the bone will be completed several months before the final restoration, or prosthetic tooth, is attached. This is necessary for the post to integrate with the jaw bone and to ensure the tissues are healed before permanently attaching the dental crown that will act as a new tooth.
Schedule A Consultation
During a consultation, Dr. Engelberg or Dr. Mullarkey will discuss your personal concerns, oral health and cosmetic goals before recommending the most suitable option for you. To restore your smile with a dental bridge, or learn more about our restorative dental treatments, contact our office at 847.230.9703 or use our online request form to schedule an appointment.
We serve patients from many surrounding communities including Deerfield, Buffalo Grove and Long Grove, IL.