What should you be doing to improve your oral health? When we take care of our smiles, we can enjoy a full row of beautiful, shining teeth free of decay and infection. We can also experience a reduced risk of gum problems, such as gingivitis and gum disease.
Improving Your Oral Health
- Cut Back on Sugary Foods: Watching what you eat and drink can protect your smile, and help slim your waistline as well. We recommend cutting back on foods and drink high in sugar and other starches. In lieu of candy, chips, and sodas, why not snack on nuts, fresh fruits and vegetables, or low fat yogurt? Doing so limits the amount of sugar for bacteria to break down, a process that can lead to plaque buildup and a greater risk of decay. In addition, rougher fruits and vegetables, such as broccoli, carrots, and apples, can actually help remove plaque from the teeth as you eat them.
- See Your Dentist Every Six Months: You should schedule a routine preventive visit every six months. During the visit, we will perform a checkup, examining your smile to make sure you’re healthy and to identify any warning signs of trouble. We will also complete a dental cleaning, removing plaque from your teeth to safeguard your smile against decay and gum disease.
- Don’t Skimp on Brushing: You should be brushing your teeth twice a day, nonce in the morning and again at night. Each session should also last a minimum of two minutes. 30 seconds of brushing won’t cut it!
- Always Floss: You also need to floss every night before bed to remove the bits of food that your toothbrush’s bristles can’t reach.
- Wear Mouthguards: If you play sports, then always wear a mouthguard. Doing so helps limit the risk of broken, cracked, or knocked-out teeth.
ABOUT YOUR NORTHBROOK, IL DENTIST:
Dr. Brent Engelberg and his highly-skilled team proudly serve patients and their families from Arlington Heights, IL, and all surrounding communities, including; Northbrook, Deerfield, Highland Park, Wilmette, Winnetka, Glencoe, Vernon Hills, Lincolnshire, Libertyville, Skokie, Evanston, Palatine, Schaumburg, Elk Grove Village, Rolling Meadows, and the Northern and Northwest Chicago Suburbs. To learn more, schedule a consultation online, or call our office today at (847) 230-9703.