General dentistry refers to procedures designed to improve oral health and safeguard smiles from common dental problems, such as cavities. We often recommend our patients undergo professional dental cleanings to keep their teeth and gums healthy. What should you expect from a professional cleaning?
Try Our Quiz on Professional Cleanings
- True or False: You should have them regularly.
- True or False: They can help prevent gum disease.
- True or False: A dental cleaning offers other benefits as well.
- True or False: You need them even if you brush and floss.
- True. We recommend patients of all ages undergo routine dental cleanings every six months. Doing so can allow the dentist to identify problem areas before they become decay, gum disease, or an infection. You can maintain a healthier and more attractive smile!
- True. The procedure involves removing the plaque from surface of the teeth, then following up with a thorough polishing. Doing so can help limit the risk of gingivitis and periodontal disease, as well as tooth decay.
- True. Afterward, your teeth may have a brighter appearance and your breath can smell fresher. Your teeth will also have a smooth feel, as all of the plaque (a bacterial byproduct) can be removed.
- True. Brushing and flossing your teeth can help control the amount of plaque that forms on your teeth, but they cannot remove the entirety of the buildup. As a result, even if you maintain excellent homecare of your smile, you still need to have a professional cleaning every six months. If you have any questions about this procedure, or if you would like to schedule one, then please contact our office today.
To learn more, schedule a consultation online, or call our office today at (847) 230-9703.