Many people think of crooked teeth as only a cosmetic issue. It’s true that crooked teeth may cause both children and adults to feel unhappy with the appearance of the smile, which leads to self-consciousness and low self-esteem. However, it’s also important to understand that crooked or misaligned teeth can also be health hazards that contribute to the development of a variety of serious dental problems. As a result, straightening crooked teeth can improve the comfort and function of your bite and help restore your overall dental health.
Health Risks Posed By Crooked Teeth
Crooked or misaligned teeth can increase your chances of developing numerous undesirable dental conditions, including:
- Tooth damage: Misalignment can cause teeth to come into contact with each other in ways that cause them to chip or crack over time.
- Tooth decay: Crooked teeth are difficult to floss and may be hard to reach with your brush. If you are unable to clean your teeth properly, you will be much more likely to experience tooth decay and develop cavities.
- Halitosis: Poor oral hygiene caused by crooked teeth can also lead to halitosis, another name for chronic bad breath.
- Bite disorders: Misaligned teeth affect the balance of your jaw bite, leading to a variety of problems such as teeth grinding and TMJ.
How Can Crooked Teeth Be Treated?
At AH Smiles, we offer a range of treatments for crooked and misaligned teeth. After conducting a comprehensive evaluation, Dr. Brent Engelberg or Dr. Jennifer Mullarkey will recommend a personalized treatment plan that best suits your dental health, cosmetic goals, and budget.
Depending on your unique needs, we may recommend:
- Dental veneers: Veneers help to change the shape of the teeth and provide a more stable biting surface.
- Dental crowns: A custom dental crown is a good option for realigning teeth and enhancing the appearance of your smile.
- Tooth bonding: Used to reshape or restore teeth with minor imperfections, cosmetic bonding provides a more comfortable and aesthetically pleasing smile.
- Orthodontics: Options such as Invisalign can help teens and adults achieve a straighter smile.
Schedule An Appointment
Having your teeth straightened can dramatically improve the health, comfort, and appearance of your smile. If you are interested in learning more, contact our Arlington Heights, IL dentist office today. To schedule a consultation, call 847.230.9703 or schedule an appointment online.