Although genetics play a large role in whether or not you get cavities, regular brushing and preventative dental care help keep your teeth and gums healthy. Brushing removes the plaque that causes tooth decay and stimulates your gums to help prevent gum disease.
Steps & Tips For Creating A Healthy Oral Hygiene Routine
- Use The Correct Toothbrush
- That means a soft-bristled multi-tufted toothbrush, with a head that’s small enough to get comfortable all around your mouth, and a handle that’s easy to grip
- Brush Twice Per Day (And Not Too Hard)
- If brushing twice a day is good, then three times a day is better… right? Wrong! Brushing too often — or too hard — can cause gum recession, and damage the root surfaces of the teeth by abrading them.
- Floss At Least Once Per Day
- It’s been said many times, many ways… and it’s still true. Flossing is the best way to remove plaque in places where your brush just can’t reach.
- Eliminate Bad Habits
- Some of these you already know: using any tobacco products, consuming excessive amounts of alcohol, and chewing on pencils or fingernails, all have negative consequences for your oral health.
- Drink Enough Water
- Keeping your mouth moist is really important. Mouth dryness increases biofilm (plaque) accumulation and your risk for both tooth decay and periodontal (gum) disease.
- Do Not Snack On Sugary Foods
- Sugary foods in the diet are the major contributor to the problem. Sugars are consumed by oral bacteria, which then release acids that attack the teeth, causing tooth decay (cavities). The less sugar you consume, the better for your teeth.
- Notify Your Dentist Of Anything Unusual
- Be sure to let your dentist know when you notice anything unusual: bleeding, sensitivity, pain, discoloration, a sore or a lump, or any other signs or symptoms that are not normal.
Schedule a Consultation
If you are interested in learning more about creating a good at home oral hygiene routine in the Deerfield, IL, Buffalo Grove, IL, Long Grove, IL, Northbrook, IL and Arlington Heights, IL areas, schedule an appointment with Dr. Engelberg. Call our office at 847.230.9703 or use our convenient online form and we will contact you shortly. During an initial consultation, we will thoroughly examine your dental health, discuss your concerns and goals. He will make personalized recommendations for achieving them and improving your oral health. AH Smiles is currently welcoming new patients!