With summer finally here, you’re probably looking for ways to ensure you look your best on the beach. Fortunately, we have a few tips that can help both your smile and your waistline. With a healthy diet you protect your teeth from decay and other concerns and help improve overall health. Enjoy a smile healthy summer in 2016!
Tips for a Smile Healthy Summer
- Brush and floss: Seems simple, right? Well, it is. When you brush and floss properly you can remove food particles that harmful bacteria break down to create plaque buildup. You should brush for two minutes in the morning and again at night. You should also floss your teeth every night before going to bed. You need to do this every day in order to control plaque buildup between dental cleaning visits.
- Watch what you drink: Water is a great way to remain properly hydrated. In addition, water also contains no harmful sugars or acids. We suggest cutting back on sodas, energy drinks, and even sports drinks to protect your smile.
- Embrace healthier snacks: Instead of relying on snacks high in sugar and other starches, which can lead to decay, choose snacks consisting of fresh fruit, fresh vegetables, nuts, or low-fat yogurts. Sugar-free gum can also be used to curb snacking urges.
- Make time for the dentist: Every six months you should see the dentist for a checkup and cleaning, which is essential for avoiding tooth decay and gum disease.
- Be aware of changes in your smile: If you notice your teeth feel sensitive or ache, or if your gums appear sore or red, let us know. Changes in your smile could be early warnings if serious problems.
ABOUT YOUR ROLLING MEADOWS DENTIST:
Dr. Brent Engelberg and his highly-skilled team proudly serve patients and their families from Arlington Heights, IL, and all surrounding communities, including; Northbrook, Deerfield, Highland Park, Wilmette, Winnetka, Glencoe, Vernon Hills, Lincolnshire, Libertyville, Skokie, Evanston, Palatine, Schaumburg, Elk Grove Village, Rolling Meadows, and the Northern and Northwest Chicago Suburbs. To learn more, schedule a consultation online, or call our office today at (847) 230-9703.